Without the necessary permits, your event could be shut down by the authorities. Without the necessary insurance, you and your event are open to liability and legal action that you do not wish to have. It is imperative that regardless of the size, all necessary permits and insurance needs are properly vetted out and acquired.
- Determine which permits you may need for your event – they can include a mass gathering, sound reinforcement, alcohol, fireworks, structural (staging, roof, etc), and more.
- Mass Gathering – how to apply, what you will need
- Sound – how to apply, what you will need
- Alcohol – often this is done in conjunction with your Bar Operations company, as they usually have to file it as an extension of their existing permit to sell alcohol
- Fireworks – often there will need to be an FCC clearance if you’re close to an airport, as well as a 300 to 500 foot radius that is declared safe for a fallout zone. This will usually involve the Fire Marshall’s office.
- Cultivate relationships with the municipality / local fire marshalls to ensure everything is up to code and there are no major unknown obstacles
- Invite them out for preliminary site visits and let them know what your ideas / goals are with the event space